Reasons Why We Still Speak PHP Language
There are many computer languages out there, but only a few stood the test of time. One of them is PHP.
PHP is a scripting language initially used for web development and on the server-side. It was created by Rasmus Lerdorf in 1994 when he wrote several Common Gateway Interface (CGI) programs in C which he used to maintain his personal homepage; and that was PHP initially stood for: Personal Home Page. Today, the PHP reference implementation is now produced by The PHP Group and it now stands for the recursive backronym Hypertext Preprocessor.
But what made this language stood the test of time? Here are several good reasons:
- PHP is open source. Anyone can use PHP for free therefore allowing developers to utilize it for different capacities.
- It is an easy to learn language. Straight-forward, no complexities. It’s not even Greek for geeks.
- It has a vast community. Because it is popular among developers, it has a large following, and most web developers knows this language. No one could get lost in the PHP world. Ask any question in a forum, you’ll get answers. PHP resources are available everywhere. Even online job sites are almost full of PHP programmers looking for jobs.
- It is highly secured. In a digital world where security becomes a major concern, PHP comes out to be highly reliable and safe. It is mainly the language of choice in providing names and improving passwords and logins.
- It connects easily with databases. There are many database management systems and programs that are compatible with PHP. However, MySQL is still PHP’s best partner. They have probably gone through thick and thin (or sick and sin?).
- It is highly efficient and versatile. It is so versatile that it is not just a server side scripting language but also used as a general-purpose programming language. Content management systems (CMS) like WordPress, Joomla, and Drupal were written in PHP. Frameworks like CodeIgniter and Laravel were written in PHP. Shopping carts like Magento and OpenCart were written in PHP.
The possibilities of PHP are endless. Though some say it does not offer the fastest web solutions, the PHP language offers stable web solutions. That’s why it still stands the test of time since 1994 and we still speak the language today.
Do you agree with our reasons? Let us know by commenting below.